Thursday, November 19, 2009

10 Keys to Understanding Isaiah






Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel, and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy. But I give unto you a prophecy, according to the spirit which is in me; wherefore I shall prophesy according to the plainness which hath been with me from the time that I came out from Jerusalem with my father; for behold, my soul delighteth in plainness unto my people, that they may learn.
Yea, and my soul delighteth in the words of Isaiah, for I came out from Jerusalem, and mine eyes hath beheld the things of the Jews, and I know that the Jews do understand the things of the prophets, and there is none other people that understand the things which were spoken unto the Jews like unto them, save it be that they are taught after the manner of the things of the Jews.

2 Nephi Chapter 25:4-5

10 Keys to Understanding Isaiah: As above and also other chapters in the Book of Mormon, Nephi and Jacob BOTH used the words of Isaiah extensively in their own teachings and also to make sense of their own journey to the "Isles of the Sea"

Keys:
1) Gain an over-all knowledge of the plan of salvation and of God's dealings with his earthly children.
2) Learn the position and destiny of the house of Israel in the Lord's eternal scheme of things.
3) Know the chief doctrines about which Isaiah chose to write.
4) Use the Book of Mormon: (See videos enclosed)
5) Use latter-day revelation.
6) Learn how the New Testament interprets Isaiah.
7) Study Isaiah in its Old Testament context.
8) Learn the manner of prophesying used among the Jews in Isaiah's day.
9) Have the spirit of prophecy.
10) Devote yourself to hard, conscientious study.

By doing these things and only by doing them should we hope to gain knowledge regarding this "Ancient Latter-day Prophet)

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!

No comments: