Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mark Well What I Do Say. (Avoid Like The Plague!)



What can we learn from a sea shanty? Hopefully, A LOT! I've had years to think of this particular sea travelers hymn but perhaps with a darker side of the story. To me, I see that it deals with my relationship with sin and how it beckons. Also how one must behave after getting too close to sin. I'll go no more a roving with you, seemingly harmless sin but was actually harmless.

I hope you see what I am able to see in this... for the battle between our natures and putting off the natural man works quite like this tango does. See if you can see as I do where this is an allegory for how the Devil tempts.

In Amsterdam there lived a maid, Mark well what I do say, In Amsterdam there lived a maid And she was mistress of her trade.

Chorus: I'll go no more a roving with you fair maid A-roving, a-roving, Since roving's been my rue-I-ay I'll go no more a-roving with you fair maid.

I kissed her once, I kissed her twice, Mark well what I do say, I kissed her once, I kissed her twice, She said, "Young sir that's oh so nice."

Chorus...

I put my hand upon her knee, Mark well what I do say, I put my hand upon her knee; She said, "Young sir you're fancy free."

Chorus...

I put my arms around her waist, Mark well what I do say, I put my arms around her waist; She said, "Young sir you're in great haste!"

Chorus...

I put hand upon her thigh, Mark well what I do say, I put hand upon her thigh; She said, "Young sir you're awful high!"

Chorus...

In Amsterdam there lived a maid, Mark well what I do say, In Amsterdam there lived a maid; And she was mistress of her trade. So GO NO MORE A ROVING WITH THIS FAIR MAID! I beseech you, my beloved brothers and sisters, never sit near this seemingly harmless maid; the maid of Immorality. This I testify to you in the name of the son, Amen. Amsterdam Maid (A-Rovin')

No comments: