Thursday, October 24, 2019

Instrument in the Hands of the Lord - To Save A Life

About 1 year ago; It was mid-evening in the middle of Autumn. I was stopping at a fueling station as I normally do to end my night as a taxi driver when I noticed something was amiss. While I was fueling a man who was struggling to breathe, perhaps, had his hand across his heart. He was sitting in the passengers seat and the door haphazardly swung open so that I could see his upper body and he was quietly calling for help. I was given the sharp impression that I had to go over there and see what was the matter. With my White Stone in hand, I began to call local EMS and others to bring them onto the scene. I was dialing the phone when as I was looking around to determine our location for emergency personnel to locate us, I saw a police squad car about to leave, I walked towards him waving my White Stone at him. I said to the gentleman in law enforcement that there was a bother in trouble and we needed to check into him now. Emergency phone services were asking me questions and I was trying to relay to them what I had seen so they could determine who was to come as part of the team of life savers. All at once, the officer shouted that he needed my help and then I slammed the phone onto the ground after telling 911 that I had to go. This man was flat-lining and it was happening right before our very eyes. His children and wife were trying to assemble around us as worried as they were. Many of them were sobbing hoping that their father would be okay. Of his wife and children, he was a smaller man physically than his children but he was no small man. He must have weight 350 lbs and his children made him look tiny in comparison. We tried to pull him out of the seat together in a coordinated effort. His body hit the ground with a thud with both of our hands on him and the officer immediately began to administer CPR as per his EMS training and continued to work on his chest until his companions could arrive. His children and wife began to cry even with more worry and concern. I put my hand gently on their shoulders and would try to back them up gently so that the office had room to work as he was calling for this desired space constantly. It felt like an hour had gone by while the officer was pumping on his chest but it had probably only been 3 minutes. Thankfully the gentleman's wife had pulled over about 4 blocks from the fire station because help COULD arrive. I saw his rescuers arrive from nearby and from the direction I had supposed they would. I continued to feed EMS any additional information that I could so that this could be relayed to the officers and EMS personnel and then I began to facilitate information to the already forming crowd which grew to about 3x its original population just 10 minutes before. I saw men in white shirts hustling back and forth from the ambulance to the man still laying on the ground. They worked feverishly to revive the man who had passed out. I sat in the car with his teenage children to help calm their nerves and relay what information i could to them. In our discussions I discovered that this man had been suffering for some time during the car ride as well but their initial intent was to get to the store and purchase some Asprin. I believe that they knew what was going on and they feared he was about to have a heart attack. I believe that they were correct. I got out of their car to see this team of 8-10 gentlemen and ladies shouting out commands to each other and disclosing signs of success by mentioning when he was accepting their treatment and how they had to get him into the ambulance and that perhaps his wife could ride along with him and hold his hand on the trip to the hospital. I marveled at the sight. Without even a wink o a nod, the lady who was working at this particular ARCO station knew that we had all witnessed a miracle that day. We both knew that time was of the essence and all of the pieces were in place to bring him back to the land of the living. I played a role that day and I am satisfied knowing that God was able to place me in a position to help one soul. My thoughts dwelled on that family for some time afterwards. Did they get to spend another thanksgiving together? Did he get to go home by Christmas? Will he and his family make better choices on what sorts of foods they should eat together or did they revert back to the same lifestyle that put Dad in jeopardy? I don't know this. What I do know and will always know is that they got time. More time together. God is merciful and just. Our days will not be numbered any less. One can become and instrument in the hands of the Lord. I may have become an instrument in his hands simply by taking the time to write this account. One year afterwards, I have felt the impression to write this and other such stories. Hopefully more to come. Hopefully I too will live long upon the Land that the Lord God has given me and that I might continue to be an instrument in his hands to bring about peace in the lives of those whom God places before me. This I do so record and do so in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: